Surprise Cookie Pies

Heya,

Since I was little, I've always been relatively stubborn. I'm often reluctant to admit when things go wrong and will often persist until they improve. Whilst some view this as a negative trait (I can be incredibly argumentative at times!), I have seen a positive side to it, especially in baking and experimenting.  I find that 90% of accidents in baking happen for a reason. In my cookie cereal recipe (EatTeen by Lottie: Cookie Cereal) I actually forgot to use eggs the first time, however the recipe came out perfectly and was actually a nicer texture compared to when I add the egg so decided to omit it from my recipe completely. Some of my other happy accidents in baking have occurred on a larger scale, such as during one of my teenage market bake stalls when I accidentally made NINTEY SIX cup-cakes with plain not self-rising flour. My "mistake cakes" as I call them actually sold out! This cookie pie recipe wasn't an accident but instead a substitution. After playing around with some of the ingredients I noticed the texture was more pastry like compared to the biscuit like texture I was expecting. However, they tasted even better than I had imagined so I decided to continue my creation with the pastry texture. Another successful accident! The recipe itself is super simple and perfect for any occasion as the centre can be anything! I have used: peanut butter, Nutella, Speculoos spread and even marshmallows to create mouthwatering surprise pies. I hope you love this recipe as much as I do!

 

Here is my recipe for Surprise Cookie Pies:



Ingredients: (Makes 12)

  • 100g Butter, melted
  • 1tsp Vanilla Extract
  • 1tbs Neutral Oil (I use Sunflower)
  • 80g Caster Sugar
  • 1 Egg
  • 250g Plain Flour
  • 75g Chocolate Chips, optional but recommended
Filling Ideas: (use about 1tsp-1tbs per cookie)
  • Peanut Butter (crunchy or smooth works)
  • Jam 
  • Biscoff Spread
  • Marshmallow Fluff (use slightly less than other fillings as it tends to expand in the oven!)
  • Almond Butter
  • Nutella
  • Lemon Curd

Method:


  1. Preheat the oven to 180'c, gas mark 4
  2. Line a cupcake tray with 12 cupcake cases
  3. In a large bowl, mix the butter, vanilla, oil and sugar until combined
  4. Add the egg and continue to mix
  5. Fold in the flour and chocolate chips until just combined but don't overmix
  6. Separate off 1/4 of the dough
  7. With the remaining 3/4s, evenly distribute it between the 12 cases and press firmly in the centre to create a cup shape
  8. Fill each cup with your chosen fillings
  9. Use the remaining dough to cover the cups - roll it into balls, flatten and place over the filling before merging the cup sides with the cover to fully encapsulate the filling (you don't want any filling to seep out!)
  10. Bake for 15 minutes
  11. Enjoy!!
    Comment below if you have made this bake or have any questions!
    Lottie X

Popular Posts