Chewy Honey & Sesame Cookies

Heya,

 

Saying a recipe comes to you in a dream sounds a bit mad, but sometimes these things do just come to you. I normally make honey cookies for Rosh Hashana (Lottie's Honey Biscuits ) but I wanted to do something a little more exciting. My brain somehow decided that honey and sesame were a normal combination, (not dissimilar to white chocolate raspberry), so I decided to experiment and see where I got to. 

I love sesame seeds however I don't like halva by any means so I was interested to know if I would like another sweet dish utilising sesame. But these went down a treat. They had a very mild halva taste and the sesame added a nice crunch to the otherwise chewy cookies. I ended up using a mixture of different honeys (don't tell my dad I used his honey!) but the blend of flavours was the perfect balance of sweet yet natural tasting if that makes sense. I hope you enjoy this Jewish new year treat!

Here is my recipe for Chewy Honey & Sesame Cookies:


Ingredients: (Makes 8) 

  • 55g Butter, softened
  • 55g Honey (ideally a runnier one)
  • 40g Brown Sugar
  • 50g White Sugar
  • 1 Small Egg
  • 1/2tsp Vanilla/Almond Extract
  • 100g Plain Flour
  • 1/4tsp Baking Soda
  • 1/4tsp Baking Powder
  • 1/4tsp Salt
  • 50g Sesame Seeds (start with 25 but you may need more to coat the cookies)

Method:

  1. Preheat the oven/airfryer to 180'c, gas mark 4.
  2. In a bowl, cream the butter, honey and both sugars.
  3. Add the egg and vanilla then continue to mix.
  4. Fold in the flour, soda, powder and salt and mix until fully combined - it will get quite sticky but don't worry!
  5. pour the sesame seeds onto a plate
  6. separate the cookie mixture into 8 balls and roll them around in the sesame seeds - you may have to use a spoon to dollop them into the sesame originally but they get less sticky when coated.
  7. Place on a lined baking sheet (they will spread so don't place them too close to each other).
  8. Bake for 5 minutes then turn around and bake for another 6 minutes.
  9. Leave to cool.
  10. Enjoy!!
    Comment below if you have made this bake or have any questions!
    Lottie X

Popular Posts