Basic Almond Marzipan

Heya,

My grandparents on my dad's side live in Northern Israel so my family have always travelled there frequently. When my brother and I were growing up my parents always used to look for fun activities for us whilst we were there- we couldn't be on the beach everyday as we burn so easily! Although we enjoyed seeing Roman ruins, bustling markets and of course eating frozen yoghurt (Eat Teen by Lottie: Frozen Yoghurt) I also really remember some of our more random adventures. Due to the hot climate, (another reason we travel there so often!), farmers often grow crops such as olives, grapes and almonds. Almonds were something I had seen grown before visiting Israel (I've seen olive and grape vines in Italy) so to say I was intrigued was an understatement. Adjacent to the almond farm is a remote museum and factory in my family know as the marzipan factory (It is actually called the Tabor Museum). The museum is filled will displays of marzipan figures and art work however for my brother and I, the best part was making it! As we were only young, for us, the process included colouring and shaping the dough however I have more recently discovered a love for making my own fresh marzipan as it is actually easier to make compared to regular fondant and of course tastes amazing. Me being me I love to place around with the recipe and use a whole blend of nuts however the recipe I am sharing is for my simple almond marzipan so I hope you love it as much as I do as it is the perfect addition to a cake decoration or simply to eat plain!

 

Here is my recipe for Basic Almond Marzipan:


Ingredients: (Makes enough to top 12 cupcakes)

  • 250g Almonds, skinned until all of the brown is removed (its easier to buy almost slithers)
  • 125g Icing Sugar
  • 125g Caster Sugar
  • 1 medium Egg Yolk

Method:

  1. In a very strong blender, blitz the almonds until a fine powder forms
  2. Add both sugars and continue to blend
  3. Pour your fine powder into a bowl and mix with the yolks until a dough forms
  4. Refrigerate for at least 45 minutes
  5. Enjoy!!
    Comment below if you have made this bake or have any questions!
    Lottie X

Popular Posts