Vegan Blueberry Muffins

Heya,

Breakfast is, without a doubt, my favourite meal of the day. I love experimenting with various oat recipes, yoghurt bowls and even pancakes (when I have time) in order to get that perfect start to my morning. However, normally on a school day I'm relatively pushed for time (waking up on time isn't my strongest skill!) so like to prepare something the night before or meal prep a batch for the week. Muffins are usually my go to option as they are super simple but scrumptious and filling. I would almost always opt for blueberry muffins (or maybe white chocolate and raspberry) as they aren't too sweet but still give you that sugary kick for the morning. Blueberries are also rich in vitamins, minerals and antioxidants as well as being extremely beneficial for brain function thus making these delightful muffins the perfect before school treat. I'm also a firm believer in the idea of presentation when it comes to sweet treats therefore love making these muffins look extra special with some sliced banana and granulated sugar for that extra shine. I know teenagers aren't exactly known for eating breakfast (Coffee/Monster drinks are not breakfast!) so I hope this recipes convinces you otherwise and gives you the perfect start for the long day ahead whilst not taking up too much time.





Here is my recipe for Blueberry Muffins:


Ingredients: (makes 12)

  • 250ml Non-Dairy Milk (I use almond)
  • 1tsp Apple Cider Vinegar
  • 125g Rolled Oats
  • 125g Plain Wholemeal Flour
  • 2tsp Baking Powder
  • 1/2tsp Baking Soda
  • 85g Brown Sugar
  • 85g Banana, mashed
  • 1tsp Almond/Vanilla Extract
  • 2tbs Lemon Zest
  • 100g Blueberries, cut into quarters
  • Granulated Sugar and sliced Banana for sprinkling on top of the muffins (optional)

Method:

  1. Preheat the oven to 175’c, gas mark 4
  2. Line a muffin tray with 12 muffin cases
  3. In a jug, whisk the milk and cider vinegar and leave to curdle (this is basically vegan buttermilk)
  4. In a medium sized bowl, combine the oats, flour baking powder and soda 
  5. In a large bowl, mix together the sugar, banana, almond extract and lemon zest until combined.
  6. Add the "buttermilk" to your banana mixture and continue to mix
  7. Fold the flour mixture into the banana mixture until fully combined
  8. Add in your blueberries and keep mixing
  9. Evenly spoon your muffin mixture into the cases and cook for 18-20 minutes
  10. Enjoy!!

Popular Posts