Matcha & White Chocolate Cookies

Heya,

Matcha is a powder of tea leaves traditionally drank in latte form in Eastern Asian countries. Randomly, I discovered my love for it in Dubai in the Starbucks in the mall (so cultured, I know!) I was looking for something new to try and the server actually suggested a matcha latte. Of course I had it iced however, after trying it again in London I decided I'm better of having it hot. The actual matcha flavour is savoury, in my opinion, but works well in desserts as it cancels out the overly sweet flavour of treats such as cookies. In order to create the perfect matcha dessert I knew I had to start with a mild matcha flavour- mainly to entice my family, but also to see how the flavours of a cookie and green tea match. Although the first recipe I played around with did not turn out amazingly, I have since created a new recipe with slightly less matcha as well as a sweet chocolatey flavour to balance everything out giving these cookies the perfect flavour, texture and of course colour! I have found my friends opt away from matcha due to its colour however I have changed their minds with these delicious cookies. I hope you love them as much as I do!

 

Here is my recipe for Matcha & White Chocolate Cookies:


Ingredients: (Makes 16)

  • 100g Butter/Margarine, softened
  • 30g White Chocolate, melted
  • 200g Brown Sugar
  • 40g Caster Sugar
  • 60ml Non-Dairy Milk, (I use oat as they have to be nut free to take to school!)
  • 2tsp Vanilla/Almond Extract
  • 220g Plain Flour
  • 1tsp Baking Soda
  • 2tsp Matcha Powder (I use Clearspring Matcha Powder)
  • 75g White/Milk Chocolate Chips (I use white because I love them- you could use dark but I find them too bitter for this particular recipe)

Method:

  1. Preheat the oven to 180'c, gas mark 4
  2. In a large bowl, mix the butter and white chocolate
  3. Whisk in the sugars until fully combined
  4. Add the vanilla and milk and continue to whisk
  5. In a small bowl, mix the matcha, flour and baking soda until totally combined- the mixture needs to be mixed well in order to prevent any bitterness in the biscuits from a large clump of matcha or baking soda (the mixture should be pale green!)
  6. Slowly fold the flour mixture into the butter mixture until fully combined
  7. Stir in the chocolate chips
  8. Roll into 16 equally sized balls and bake for 10-12 minutes
  9. Enjoy!!
    Comment below if you have made this bake or have any questions!
    Lottie X

 

Popular Posts